Thursday, February 17, 2005

What I really meant to say...

Ay... been awhile since i last blogged. This week, has been a really eventful week. Once again, a brief run down of the highlights, bullet style.

  • V Day! Well, to sum it up in a word, beautiful. I wish that night didn't have to end... Sounds cliched, but if I could freeze time, I would definitely have done so. But then again, maybe not. I'm looking forward to the future... :)
  • Conflicts at work. OK, politics at work have gotten a tad more intense. Was pretty pissed at some of my colleagues during the week, but I've figured that there's no point getting mad. I'm not that badly affected, and whilst they are getting away scot free for now, I have faith that Karma will get their back, sooner or later. So, no frowns and moody behaviour from me. I've got much better things to focus on then them.
  • Porn. Yup, porn is one of the highlights of the week. Before you start getting any wild ideas, it was because my colleagues seized a record amount of pornographic materials during one operation. A bunch of regulars had just returned from an exercise in Bombay, so they decided to take the opportunity to appreciate Indian made porn. A total of 20 over VCDs, 5 erotic story books, 4 karma sutra instruction books and 1 porn mag was seized. Remember the rumour about MPs getting to keep what they catch? Well, all I can say to that is "SCREW YOU!" Coz me and my colleague had to spend more than 2 hours doing up all the paperwork and documentation for all that crap that we seized. On top of that, we had to wrap and seal each piece of pornography for them to be locked up. Was I turned on you ask? More like turned OFF. Porn= extra work= waste of time! I had to seal the entire VCD collection of "Indian Fantasy", from disc 1 to disc 7. And worse was the stinky, rotting porn mag. Goodness knows how many hands had it passed through. GROSS!
  • Constantine. Watched this really weird movie with Rong. Judging from the really cool trailers, I was expecting this to be some gothic action flick loaded with cool effects and a couple of scares. Instead, it turned out to be one of the most confusing and un focused films I have ever watched. It seems as though the director wanted to make an action film, a horror flick, a spoof, a comedy, and a deep and philosophical movie all at the same time. Whilst the movie was pretty involving at some parts, it left most viewers scratching their heads at the end of it. Not that it possessed any Matrix level of complexity in plot (dialogue was painfully in audible). The sudden ending of the movie was just so.... weird. The plot lacked direction and meaning. Rachel Weiss did her best to be as genuinely scared as possible, but as the story progressed, the lack of conformity in her character was obvious. She changed far too much from the start to the end of the film. But alright, the movie's plus points comes in Keanu Reeve's character. It was a nice blend of bitterness, sarcasm, black humour, action, and just plain "cool-ness". Some really funny parts too. All in all, I think I'll give it 5.5 out of 10. (Initially gave it a 7.5, but changed my mind, considering I gave Matrix and LOTR 9) For those of you haven't watched it, I'd say wait for the DVD to come out on rental.

And today was my first training for the Iron Man challenge. Basically, this is a annual competitive event organised by my unit. Each company will have to send a team of 10 men. These men, dressed in FBO (full battle order consisting of long 4, combat boots, helmet, webbing and a 30kg field pack) will tackle a 5km+ course, and the first team through will be declared the winner. This is the basic run down of the course.

1. 1st km. Run from unit to first checkpoint. 6 men with field pack.

2. 2nd km. Carry constantina wire and iron pickets and proceed to next checkpoint.

3. 3rd km. Drop wire and pickets. Carry jerry cans with 5 litres of water each to next point.

4. 4th km. Drop cans. Set up out field tent in FBO, followed by inspection. Failure leads to deduction of points and time penalty.

5. 5th km. Run back to unit with one selected casualty. This means that 9 men will run back with 1 man as a casualty on a stretcher, hence the challenge is to carry him back and maintaining the pace.

Now, let me just say that I was only informed that I would be part of the Iron Man challenge yesterday. The rest of the team had already started training weeks ago, so it would be a grave understatement to say that I am ill-prepared in comparision to them. Furthermore, the other members in my teams are all good runners. That is one aspect of fitness which I am weak at. Although I can comfortably get a silver award for IPPT, running has always been my Achilles heel for as long as I can remember. You see, I used to have childhood asthma. While I no longer suffer from attacks and stuff, I still wheeze severely if i push myself too hard whilst running. This morning's training was a 5km run in FBO, with a modified field pack (an additional 2 litres of water added to the weight). Needless to say, I nearly died during the run. I was 2nd slowest in the pack, and I puked after I finished. Sigh... I don't know whether my superiors still want me to be part of the team. I hope they put me out, coz I'll definitely be a hinderance to their pace. Another training early tomorrow morning, so I guess I'd better rest early. Perhaps the only motivation I have right now is that the Iron Man training will definitely help to burn the calories I gained over the CNY period. Haha...

Well, that's all for now I guess. Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home