Saturday, December 25, 2004

From the wind and the rain, from the hurt and the pain

First and foremost, there are 3 people in my life whom I really want to thank. Christmas to me is just another public holiday. I don't celebrate it at all, but since it is a time when human bonds are cherished and honoured, I'll take this opportunity to honour 3 wonderful pals in my life.

Raf:
Thanks for all the kind words and advice that u've given me over the past months or so. Your listening ear, your crappy jokes and your optimisim have really helped me in times of down. Had a great time hanging out with you as well. There aren't many female rock lovers around these days, so you know you're something special! I'll be savin that poem too, it's really nice. Really glad to see that your guy has returned. Hope that everything works out for both of you. Here's to our friendship, cheers!

Islianah:
Although we haven't been contacting each other as much as before, the wacky updates in your blog, and the wise and beautifully written comments you leave in mine still remind me of what a friend you always have been. My best JC gal pal hasn't changed at all over the years! All the times we had back then are memories I'll treasure for eternity. I used to lament that JC sucked due to all the bad hoots around, and that I couldn't wait for NS to save me from this educational hell. Well, only after ending that phase of my life did I realise that I had been blinded by all the politics and backstabbing, to realise that alll along, I had been surrounded by blessings in the form of true bonds and friendships. Our friendship ranks right at the top of the list. Gawd, I miss JC! Lookin forward to meetin up with you and Raf soon. It's been a helluva long time!

Shuh:
I have no idea whether you will get to read this, but there are some things about us which I feel I should express. If someone was to ask me, whether I've received any help from up above during my times of turmoil, I'd say that that it would be you, in a heartbeat. Back in June, when I was suddenly left alone in the dark, in a new environment and surrounded by new challenges, you were my pillar of support. I remember fondly the times when you would drag me out of my misery by hanging out with me, chatting with me, and just basically, being THERE for me. You reminded me that I wasn't alone. For that, i can never thank you enough. A friend in need, is a friend indeed. Well, you were more than a friend to me. You were an angel, a blessing. Without you around, I don't think I ever would have gotten through this emotional thrashing half as scarred as I am now. I must admit that at times, my mind began toying with the bond between us. Was I in love with you? That was a question that really stumped me for awhile. But gradually, I came to realise, that if I had brought things to another level, it would have been on rebound. I would have been using you as a substitute for Danielle, and that would be totally unacceptable. It wouldn't have been fair to you, to me, and to all common sense on Earth. You, like me, had been emotionally scarred. The last thing you deserve, is to get into a relationship based on rebound. No, you deserve, much much better. This is why, I decided to distance myself from you for the past month or so. I needed to breathe, and be PROPERLY alone. If we had maintained the same degree of closeness, I don't know what things would have led to. Now, I can see things a little more clearly. We make e best combo as friends, as punks. That's where all our best times come from right? Once more, I want to thank you, for everything you've done for me. Although I don't show it, or express it, or say it, I'll always feel that you're a blessing from up above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhh... I feel much better now, with all that off my chest. Yes, it's X'mas, and following my usual Xmas custom, I slept in like a pig. Woke up at 12 plus in e afternoon! Outstanding! Believe it, I've woken up at this time on every Xmas for quite a few years now!

Yesterday was a pretty interesting day. Went to the Swee Lee warehouse sale with Shen Yao and Gui Rong. Although they didn't discount any of the guitar effects I wanted, the price cuts on some of the guitars were enough to make me and Shen go sick in the stomach. A Joe Satriani signature for 700???? Fender Strats for 600??? OUCH.... makes me wanna kick myself in the balls for buying my PRS SE for 900, and that Ibanez for 750. Furthermore, it really, REALLY sucks to see stuff that u couldn't afford before, to actually be affordable now, but still UNaffordable coz of something that you had settled on earlier! Confusing? Never mind...

Got to know one of the sales staff at Swee Lee as well. He's a lucky young guy (16 and waiting for O results) who's managed to get one of the most coveted jobs among all young S'porean musicians (esp guitarists). A friendly chap who thinks I'm 30, his namecards are recycled in the sense that he had to re-use the name cards of an ex employee by cancelling out the name and filling in his own. It was interesting to see how hard he was trying to sell his product, by sharing his wide, but slightly flawed knowledge on electronics and gadgets. He almost had me on the hook after slashing 60 bucks off a Dime Wah, but thankfully, my NETS card remained un-swiped as I left the shop.

Sadly, Rong had to leave to meet her friends, so me and Shen hung out at my place, getting dunked out on PS 2 and guitar. After that, it was an unhealthy dinner of Hokkien mee at Katong, followed by an unhealthy dessert of cheese cake near my place. (haha, thankfully for me, I spared myself the extra calories of dessert. fruit tea was all I had) I've realised that I like to bring my friends to have dinner at my favourite eating places. Ah, the convienience of driving. Anyway, I had a very long and interesting chat with Shen over dessert. The ambience at Cheesecake Cafe is excellent; customers can just sit there for hours. Shen has more or less split with his gal. Poor chap... Apparently, he didn't really talk about his problems with anyone before, so i was more than glad to lend my listening ear. It's horrible to be alone when u are havin problems. Got to know more aspects of Shen's personality, and I'm pretty sure this is the first conversation he's had where he got to talk so much about himself. A shy, reserved and quiet kinda guy, he really needs to brush up on his communication skills when it comes to strangers. In fact, I got him to practise right there, by smiling and thanking waiters when they came to fill our tall glasses with iced water. Hopefully he's gained a little more confidence now.

If I have a gift, that would be my ability to listen. 80% of the time, I'm very receptive, and willing to listen to my friend's woes. I know a great deal of people who
1. are unable, or can't be bothered to listen
2. get bored and purposely make sulky faces when you try to confide in them
3. always interrupt others who are confiding in them, and turn the direction of the conversation towards themselves!

As long as I'm not exhausted or moody, I can be quite a good listener. Ever since I've been posted to ZPC (my MP company), I've gotten to know a couple of individuals who are far more intellectually developed than anyone I know. Long chats with them about life, friends, God, girls, and stuff have greatly improved my communication skills.

Alrighty then, this has been a very lengthy post. Have a nice holiday peeps. Until next time...

2 Comments:

Blogger Issey said...

hey im so touched by what you wrote. my tears are flooding my room now. soon to flood the whole of singapore. hahaa. seriously, tt was such a shweeeeet post dedicated to ur friends. we shd meet up!!!

December 26, 2004 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger acousticpunk said...

heyy.. what are friends for? no biggies man.. =D take care of urself =D

December 26, 2004 at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home